Our Future is Brighter Because of the Strength of Our History
Thomaston Savings Bank began a tradition of family banking for people of the community. It was George A. Stoughton who had been most active in collecting signatures for a petition to the Legislature. After the charter was granted in August 1874, it was Mr. Stoughton who made room in his store, Burr & Stoughton, for the Bank.
In September 1874, David Merriam made the first deposit. Under successive presidents, vice-presidents and secretary-treasurers, the Bank continued to serve the growing manufacturing town from varying locations until it moved into its own building on December 15, 1939 – a new colonial-style office built on the same site where Seth Thomas had originally built his home.
From its humble beginnings in the Burr & Stoughton department store, Thomaston Savings Bank has expanded its role to meet the financial needs of individuals, families, and businesses located throughout western Connecticut and is now one of the strongest financial institutions in the state.
Today, in the spirit of enterprise and endeavor that is the heritage of the former farming hamlet that became its own small city, Thomaston Savings Bank looks back with pride to its achievements – and looks ahead with dedication to a continued tradition of community banking.