Thomaston Savings Bank Foundation FAQs
The Thomaston Savings Bank Foundation, Inc. is dedicated to enhancing the lives of our community members through its annual grant cycle. Each phase of the cycle focuses on a specific county and its towns where the Bank has a branch. To ensure a complete application, please review our Frequently Asked Questions below.
Foundation Frequently Asked Questions
1. Who do I contact if I have questions about the Foundation, grant application process or eligibility?
2. Do I have to have a nonprofit designation?
Yes. Your organization must be exempt from federal income taxation as an organization described in Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code (the “Code”), other acceptable 501(c) status, or be a governmental unit referred to in Section 170(c)(1) of the Code.
3. Do the funds have to be used in the Bank’s communities?
Yes. Although the nonprofit does not need to be located in the Bank’s communities, the funds must be used to improve the quality of life in the communities where Thomaston Savings Bank has a physical presence.
4. What communities does the Bank serve?
Thomaston Savings Bank has physical locations in the following Connecticut towns:
- New Britain
5. What is an appropriate request amount for a grant?
While there no cap on funding request amounts, the average grant award is made between $2,000 and $3,000. The Foundation Trustees may approve partially funding requests.
6. What is the Organization Budget?
Please provide your organization’s income and expenses for the year prior.
7. What is the project budget?
The total project budget is a breakdown showing the detailed costs of the project for which funding is requested.
8. What are the deadlines for submission?
Phase I Hartford County
- Available April 1st
- Due April 30th
- Awards Disbursed in Late June
Phase II Litchfield County
- Available July 1st
- Due July 31st
- Awards Disbursed in Late September
Phase III New Haven County
- Available October 1st
- Due October 31st
- Awards Disbursed in Late December
9. May I apply for a grant in more than one phase of the annual grant cycle?
Organizations may be considered to receive funding from the Thomaston Savings Bank Foundation more than once annually, but will generally be limited to one time per calendar year.
10. How do I submit a grant application?
All applications must be submitted online. No emailed or USPS mailed applications will be accepted. During an open grant phase, applications are available through the Foundation page of the Bank’s website or here.
Applicants will be prompted to log in with their username and password if they have previously created an account. If new to the Foundation’s online application system, applicants may create an account.
11. What if I forgot my password?
Go to the Account Login page and click on the “forgot password” prompt. Upon entering your email address and clicking the “Send Reset Link” a link to reset your password will be emailed to your address.
12. Is my password case-sensitive?
Yes. Please be sure to write down your password just as you created it.
13. May I print a copy of my online application for my records?
Yes, you may print a copy of your application by clicking on the gray “Application Packet” button located on the right just above the application and downloading the packet as a PDF to your computer.
14. If I am in the middle of writing my application, can I save it and continue working later?
Yes. Click the “Save Application” button located at the bottom right corner beneath the application and the information that you have entered will be stored for later retrieval.
15. Does the online application have a spell check feature?
Yes, all of the narrative questions have a spell check feature.
16. I submitted an application but forgot to add an attachment. What should I do?
17. How can I tell if my application has been received by The Thomaston Savings Bank Foundation?
When you click “Submit” you will receive an e-mail confirming receipt of your application with a copy of your submitted application. This is why it is very important to enter your email address accurately when creating your account.
18. Once an application has been submitted, can it be retrieved or edited by the applicant?
19. Is my organization’s information secure when I apply online?
The Thomaston Savings Bank Foundation takes your privacy seriously. We do not rent, sell or share personal information about grant applications with other people or with non-affiliated companies or organizations without your prior permission.
20. If I am awarded a grant, are there specific guidelines for submitting grant reports?
Upon request approval grantees will be notified via email and asked to submit two follow up forms online prior to funds disbursement. Grantees will receive a second follow up request to submit a report on the Foundation funds used approximately three months after grant funds are disbursed.
Have questions about the Foundation?
Contact us today if you have any other questions about the Thomaston Savings Bank Foundation.